Saturday, April 13, 2013

My FIRST Sports Bra

I am so excited about sewing up my first sports bra!! I used McCall's 4261 as seen here in Version C using swimwear 4-way stretch fabric. Peep this:
The pattern to make this simple sports bra has only three pattern pieces. Yay-yeah! To preserve my original pattern pieces, I traced the size I needed. I used self-fabric as lining instead of what the pattern recommends- tricot. Currently, I'm taking a swimwear sewing class, and using the self fabric gives you more support and coverage. 
Ta-ta-tum...the big-o-gap popped up only on side. This has to do with the distribution of the braided elastic. I will ask my sewing teacher for her recommendations. She had us do a math calculation for elastic distribution on the triangle bra, so I'm hoping she can shed some light on this sports bra. I will keep you updated.  
This is how it looks on the left side- elastic firmly laying flat.
This is the back view of my sports bra. I am blown away by how comfortable this feels on me. I will be testing the support either by running or doing zumba. If this sports bra gives me the right support, I'm definitely going to be making more.



  1. The print has a fun late 80's early 90's vibe ;) In a good way LOL I like it. I want to start making bras but I'm kinda nervous.. same with swimsuits.

    Btw, I nominated you for The Liebster Award on my blog :) Hopefully you haven't already got it, but if you have then yay :)

  2. I so heart the 80's I've learned that setting the elastic is what takes the most practice for swimwear. If I could make my own bras, Frederick's and Victoria's Secret better watch out!!! FYI, I recently purchased this ebook to help me tackle the bra-making process: Demystifying Bra Fitting and Construction by Norma Loehr. I highly recommend it:)

    Thanks for the nomination. That's pretty cool and exciting. Btw, my mom placed her "order" for a sports